Now that it’s the new year, it’s a fantastic time to make sure that your residential safety, security, and maintenance is up to par. Here’s a guide to all the steps that you can take in the first weeks of 2019 to ensure that your property is fully safe and protected for the year ahead, as prepared by the residential security experts here at Eagle’s Locksmith. There’s simply no substitution for the peace of mind offered by making sure that your home security is strong.
Hallway Security Checklist
- Test all of your smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors by depressing down the ‘test’ button until you hear the alarm sound. If it doesn’t make any sound at all, see if replacing it’s batteries solve the problem. If this doesn’t work, buy a new smoke and carbon monoxide detector.
- Look at your fire extinguisher pressure gauge and make sure that it’s needle is in the green part, and if it’s outside the green part service it or replace it. Make sure to look at the nozzle and hose to see if there’s any cracks, and if there are any, or if it’s locking pin is missing or it’s handle is broken, you will need to replace it.
Bedroom and Living Room Security Checklist
- Make an emergency exit plan for your family and practice all of your exit routes.
- Place flashlights with new batteries in every single room to be prepared for the event of a power outage.
- Make sure your home inventory is up to date in case there’s a burglary or snowstorm that results in damages that you will want to file an insurance claim for.
- Reorganize all of your closets and storage areas and donate any objects that your family doesn’t use or doesn’t need.
- Compile a single filing area where you put all of your instruction manuals, codes, receipts, and serial numbers so that they are all in one single location.
Kitchen Security Checklist
- Put a note on your fridge that contains all of the phone numbers for doctors, hospitals, poison control, police, and all emergency contacts.
- Look at your oven range hood fan to see if there’s any grease build up, and clean it if there is any.
- Change your refrigerator water and ice maker filters about every half a year to clean any built up contaminators.
- Vacuum the coils of your refrigerator to remove any caked on dirt, dust, or crud that could possibly catch fire.
- Deep clean your oven and stove top to remove grease stains that could cause fires.
- Clean your garbage disposal with white vinegar, hot water, baking soda, and lemon to keep it clean.
Basement Security Checklist
- Clean off your home’s circuit breaker to lower the risk of power outages.
- Check to see if there’s any frozen water in your pipes, and make sure all activated pipes are over 32 degrees by providing them with insulation.
- Change your furnace filters every 4 to 6 weeks during the Winter.
- Wash and dust your air vents.
- Deep clean and check your basement for any leaking, mold, or cracks.
- Flush out your hot water heater on a yearly basis to remove any mineral buildup or sediment.
- Check to see if your home foundation has any water damage.
Bathroom Security Checklist
- Keep your first aid kit full with all items necessary like gauze, antiseptic, and band aids.
- Run water and flush all toilets in order to stop grime from caking to the bowl.
- Unclog all sink and bathroom tub drains by pouring boiling water mixed with white vinegar and baking soda straight down the drain.